Quarter: Third-quarter net income declined 1.7% to $3.8 billion. Earnings per share fell 2.6% to $1.87. Revenue increased 7.6% to $46 billion. The gross margin extended from 21% to 23% and the operating margin expanded from 11% to 12%. Chevron held nearly $15 billion of cash and equivalents and $11 billion of debt at the end of the quarter, equaling a quick ratio of 1.2 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.1. Crude oil currently costs nearly $89 a barrel.
Valuation: Chevron's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 8.5, a book value multiple of 1.6, a sales multiple of 0.9 and a cash flow multiple of 5.5, 58%, 59%, 71% and 34% discounts to oil and gas peer averages. Its PEG ratio of 0.1 reflects a 90% discount to estimated long-term fair value. Chevron's trailing earnings multiple of 9.9 represents a 46% discount to the peer average, but a modest premium to the company's five-year average multiple.Dividend: Chevron pays a quarterly dividend of 72 cents, translating to a yield of 3.4%, higher than the 10-year Treasury yield, and a payout ratio of 34%. Chevron has a record of distribution increases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV