6. Travelers (TRV) is a diversified insurer.
Quarter: Third-quarter net income ascended 7.5% to $1 billion. Earnings per share advanced 28% to $2.11. Revenue inched up 2.4% to $6.5 billion. The gross margin expanded from 35% to 36% and the operating margin stretched from 21% to 23%. Travelers carries $5.3 billion of cash and equivalents and $6.3 billion of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3. Its subsidiaries receive top financial strength ratings, with grades of AA- from Standard & Poor's.
Valuation: Travelers' stock sells for a forward earnings multiple of 9.1, a book value multiple of 0.9, a sales multiple of 1 and a cash flow multiple of 7.3, 35%, 76%, 78% and 51% discounts to insurance industry averages. A trailing earnings multiple of 7.8 represents a 66% discount to the peer average and a 16% discount to Travelers' five-year average multiple of 9.3. The stock's PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to growth, of 0.9 signals a 10% discount.Dividend: Travelers pays a quarterly dividend of 36 cents, converting to an annual yield of 2.6% with a payout ratio of 20%. Travelers boosted its dividend from 33 cents in February. The company's board has a record of regular distribution increases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV