BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Nothing blows up like a biotech or drug stock. When things go wrong -- a failed clinical trial, an FDA rejection -- investors bail and stocks implode. It's the dark underbelly of a high-risk, high-return sector. Here are the five worst-performing drug stocks this year.
No. 5: Vermillion
What goes up, must come down. That's certainly true for Vermillion (VRML) and its stock price, which rocketed 30-fold following FDA approval of an ovarian cancer diagnostic test in Fall 2009. Selling the ovarian cancer test in 2010, however, has proven significantly more challenging, which is why Vermillion's stock is now firmly back on earth.
The stock: Vermillion shares are down 83% this year as sales of the OVA1 test continue to disappoint.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV