(DryShips report updated with stock movement.)
ATHENS, Greece (TheStreet) -- DryShips (DRYS) shares pushed higher Monday amid heavy trading after the drybulk shipper said Friday its offshore drilling subsidiary plans to raise $500 million in a private offering.
DryShips said its wholly-owned Ocean Rig UDW unit's planned offering is expected to close before the end of 2010. The offering will be made to Norwegian professionals and eligible counterparties under Norwegian trading regulations, to non-U.S. residents and in a concurrent private placement in the United States only to qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act.
Proceeds from the sale are "expected to be used to finance construction costs of the ultra deepwater newbuilding drillships under construction at Samsung, exercise options to build further ultra deepwater drillships and general corporate purposes."The offering will reduce DryShips' ownership stake in Ocean Rig to between 78% and 80%. DryShips shares jumped 6% Monday to $6.23. Nearly 40 million shares changed hands with two hours left in the trading session, compared with their average daily volume of 19.9 million shares. On Friday the stock closed up by 12.4%. Separately, DryShips said Friday it completed its ATM Equity Offering, raising around $350 million since initiating the offering on Sept. 7. Earlier last week DryShips' Ocean Rig UDW subsidiary signed a $77 million contract with Borders & Southern Petroleum for a 2-well exploration and drilling pact in the offshore Falkland Islands area for a period of 90 days, beginning in the fourth quarter of 2011. >>DryShips Trades Higher on Drill Deal There were three further optional wells that could extend the contract by 135 days. The dry-bulk shipper and deepwater drill-ship operator recently posted better-than-expected quarterly earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV