BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Biotech investors love the big score. No other sector but biotech offers investors the chance to pick up cheap or forgotten stocks that can turn hot and double, triple or even quadruple over the course of a year. (The reverse, unfortunately, also rings true. (See Five Drug Stock Losers of 2010.)
Investors made a mint this year if they were smart or lucky enough to own one of the following five drug stock winners of 2010.
No. 5: Questcor Pharmaceuticals
Steeply priced drugs sold to a very small number of patients and reimbursed by insurers equal big profits for drug companies like Questcor (QCOR). Acthar Gel, which Questcor sells for more than $23,000 per vial, is used to treat a rare form of epilepsy that strikes a couple of thousand babies each year.The stock: Questcor's stock price is up 195% this year through Dec. 2 because biotech and drug investors love growth. Questcor's earnings are expected to increase 55% this year and 47% in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV