NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Spot gold prices were grounded in positive territory midday Thursday as the dollar continued to fall against a basket of major currencies and the economic picture brightened and helped lift stocks.
Lingering in the back of gold's positive action were worries about the euro-zone's debt crisis, though those worries were abating with the help of liquidity moves by the European Central Bank.
The U.S. dollar index was sliding by 0.7% to $80.19 as U.S. pending home sales rose in October and November same-store sales in the U.S. largely topped estimates, signaling inflationary forces ahead -- which is bullish for gold. On Thursday, Bloomberg reported that Goldman Sachs recommends a short dollar position against the Chinese yuan, with the view that the greenback will fall against the yuan next year because of trade imbalances.
Spot silver prices were ticking up 24 cents, or 0.8%, to $28.66.
New York spot gold prices were rising by $1.80, or 0.1% to $1,388.40, according to Kitco's spot price index.
Spot platinum prices were up by $24, or 1.4%, to $1,709 an ounce as its sister metal strengthened.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV