NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Heavy rain in Australia and dry weather in the U.S. are expected to take their toll on global grain production, pushing prices higher and providing positive support to the iPath DJ-UBS Grains TR Sub-Idx ETN (JJG), the ELEMENTS MLCX Grains Index TR ETN (GRU) and the PowerShares DB Agriculture Fund (DBA).
To further add to grain's appeal, the supply and demand imbalances of global grains are expected to widen as competition among major crops for limited acreage amplifies, weather conditions continue to take their toll on global production and demand increases due to population growth and increased global wealth. In fact, the United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organization expects global wheat stock levels to drop by 10% from last year to 181 million tons.
The primary driver behind wheat's surge and expected sustainability is harsh weather conditions, which not only have hit Australia and the U.S., but also have taken their toll on Russia, one of the major wheat exporters in the world, resulting in the Kremlin potentially importing feed grain from neighboring countries to meet demand.
At the end of the day, there is a global supply and demand imbalance in a commodity that is essential to life and positive price support is highly likely to push these exchange-traded funds and exchange-traded notes higher.
- iPath DJ-UBS Grains TR Sub-Idx ETN which tracks an index that allocates nearly 23.6% of its assets in wheat futures contracts;
- ELEMENTS MLCX Grains Index TR ETN tracks an index that holds four grain-based commodities including wheat and soybeans;
- PowerShares DB Agriculture Fund allocates 12.5% of its assets to wheat .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV