BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- That midshopping peppermint mocha or post-mall pile of fried onions may be the least of a consumer's holiday shopping worries, but they have a big impact on the restaurants serving them.
According to the National Restaurant Association, restaurants' outlook for this holiday season is better than it's been during the past two years, and an increased appetite for restaurant gift cards is a big reason America's more than 1 million restaurants and food service outlets are in a particularly festive mood. The National Retail Federation says 57% of shoppers will be buying gift cards this year, potentially giving restaurants an entree-sized portion of the take.
"An important factor to driving sales during the holidays is restaurant gift cards and gift certificates," says Hudson Riehle, senior vice president of the Research and Knowledge Group for the National Restaurant Association, in a statement. "Our research shows that 78% of consumers say they would like to receive a restaurant gift card or certificate on gift occasions, making them ideal gifts for almost everyone."
That doesn't mean restaurant chains aren't spicing up their holiday offerings and tweaking hours to woo weary and hungry holiday shoppers. TheStreet took a look at Starbucks and six sit-down food chains to see who's adding to the holiday menu and whose staff will be home for the holidays:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV