"It will give a true and representative insight into how banks behave at the executive level in a way that will stimulate investigations and reforms, I presume," he told Forbes, concluding that the disclosure "could take down a bank or two."
Bank of America responded by saying, essentially, that this is old news and it doesn't know what Assange is talking about: "More than a year ago WikiLeaks claimed to have the computer hard drive of a Bank of America executive. Aside from the claims themselves we have no evidence that supports this assertion," a Bank of America spokesman told TheStreet. "We are unaware of any new claims by WikiLeaks that pertain specifically to Bank of America."
Needless to say, BofA's statement didn't inspire confidence.There are two polar opposite - but equally valid - viewpoints on how the "megaleak" about the "megabank" might play out. Unfortunately, both views are founded on shaky ground. One camp thinks Bank of America shares are selling off on nothing more than hype. But that view relies on a belief that its previous management would have acted in a scrupulous manner and disclosed important information up-front - something it had a terrible track record of doing. (Remember the Merrill bonuses, the Merrill losses and the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV