4. AK Steel (AKS) is down 38% this year. The steel maker posted a third-quarter loss of $59 million, or 54 cents a share, after generating a profit a year earlier. Revenue soared 51% to $1.6 billion, but higher iron ore prices tore into income. A 12-day outage caused by blast furnace maintenance didn't help. Its cash balance has dropped 76% to $81 million since the year-earlier quarter. Its debt decreased 17% to $503 million.
Outlook: Analysts are skeptical of AK Steel shares. Of those tracking the company, two rate its stock "buy", 10 rate it "hold" and two rate it "sell." A median target of $13.80 suggests that AK Steel is just below fair value and has little room for advancement in the next year. Citigroup expects the stock rise 28% to $17. Goldman Sachs, on the other hand, predicts it will fall 10% to $12. With a price that's 28 times earnings projects, AK Steel is no bargain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV