5. Homebuilder PulteGroup (PHM), formed through the 2009 merger of Pulte Home and Centex, has been trying to overcome a brutal housing market, which hasn't rebounded despite tax credits and low interest rates. Pulte's third-quarter loss nearly tripled to $995 million, or $2.63 a share, from a year earlier as revenue declined 3.1%. The company's shares have lost 38% this year. It's unlikely that the housing market will pick up soon. The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index dropped 1.5% in the third quarter. Economists expected a 1.3% gain.
10 Worst-Performing S&P 500 Stocks of 2010
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.