5. Homebuilder PulteGroup (PHM), formed through the 2009 merger of Pulte Home and Centex, has been trying to overcome a brutal housing market, which hasn't rebounded despite tax credits and low interest rates. Pulte's third-quarter loss nearly tripled to $995 million, or $2.63 a share, from a year earlier as revenue declined 3.1%. The company's shares have lost 38% this year. It's unlikely that the housing market will pick up soon. The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index dropped 1.5% in the third quarter. Economists expected a 1.3% gain.
10 Worst-Performing S&P 500 Stocks of 2010
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.