6. Diamond Offshore Drilling (DO) shares have plunged 33% this year. The company was hurt by the ban on offshore drilling in the wake of the BP (BP) oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Its third-quarter profit tumbled 45% to $199 million, or $1.43 a share, as revenue dropped 12% to $800 million. Its operating margin narrowed from 53% to 36%. The company's management expects a prolonged slowdown in the Gulf region, but has relocated most of its rigs to international locations.
Outlook: With oil prices above $80 a barrel and rising, Diamond is forecasting solid business growth. But researchers have a cautious outlook for its stock. Of those covering Diamond, seven advise purchasing its shares, 13 recommend holding and 15 advocate selling. A median target of $68.92 indicates that Diamond is marginally undervalued. However, the stock sells at a 55% discount to oil and gas industry averages, trading at 9.8 times its 12-month earnings projections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV