Google's response has been added to this story.
The search giant's shares closed down $26.4, or 4.54%, at $555.71 on Tuesday, far outpacing the broader retreat in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq slip 1.07%. Shares of search sector rivals Yahoo (YHOO) and Microsoft (MSFT) also closed down, falling 3.45% and 0.21%, respectively.
Citing sources close to the situation, the Wall Street Journal blog All Things Digital reported that Google has offered $5.3 billion for Groupon, in what would be the search giant's biggest-ever acquisition.The New York Times, also citing people with direct knowledge of the matter, reports Google could acquire Groupon for between $5 billion to $6 billion. Amid the chatter, some investors and analysts have expressed worries about spending a record amount of capital for a startup that may not fit into Google's corporate culture, while others have applauded the deal, noting that Groupon could serve as a springboard for Google into local advertising. Google, however, declined to provide comment for this story when contacted by TheStreet. "We don't comment on rumor or speculation," explained a Google spokesman, in an email. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV