Diana Shipping shares soared 6.2% in afternoon trading amid heavy volume. More than 2.3 million shares were in play with just over two hours left in the trading session, compared with their average daily trading volume of just 717,000 shares.
Analysts from Goldman Sachs initiated coverage of the dry-bulk shipper with a buy rating and $17 price target, which represents a 34.6% upside to Diana's closing price Tuesday of $12.63.
Goldman's bullish rating cited that 60% of Diana's fleet is chartered out through at least the second half of 2012. The firm estimated that Diana has $1 billion in cash and debt capacity to take advantage of expected vessel acquisition opportunities. Goldman also likes Diana's disciplined management team.Diana recently posted third-quarter net income of $33.8 million earlier this month, up 17.8% from a profit of $28.7 million in the third quarter of 2009. Rival
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV