OTI Successfully Completes Voter Registry Project In Zanzibar; Voter ID System Detected Hundreds Of Duplicate Registration Attempts
- Voters Provided With Biometric Voter Cards
- Decreased Amount of Eligible Voters by 18% Than Predicted
- Helping to Ensure "One Person - One Vote"
ISELIN, N.J., Nov. 30, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On Track Innovations Ltd., (OTI) (Nasdaq:OTIV), a global leader in contactless microprocessor-based smart card solutions for homeland security, payments, petroleum payments, eID Systems and other applications, has successfully completed the upgrade of Zanzibar's Permanent Voter Registry, including the distribution of biometric-based voter cards, for the country's electoral commission.
The project, announced in 2008, wrapped up last month after the completion of general elections in Tanzania and Zanzibar. The government's project objectives were to verify voter identity, detect and avoid double registration attempts and issue new voter ID cards bearing advanced security features. The system ensured a "one person - one vote" election.
As part of the contract, OTI supplied its end-to-end solution, based on its proprietary, state-of-the-art Voter ID Registry Magna™ platform. The system captured the identity of eligible citizens, posted voter lists and issued voter ID cards which were used in the recent election. Enrollment was conducted throughout the country, both in urban and rural areas, using OTI's mobile enrollment systems. OTI also provided mobile enrollment stations and incorporated a biometric Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS).The Voter ID system detected hundreds of duplicate registration attempts, which deterred others from trying to register multiple times; as a result, the amount of eligible voters decreased by 18 percent helping to provide more accurate and fairly conducted election. "OTI's technology helped ensure a fair and democratic election in Zanzibar, preserving the 'one person, one vote' key tenet the government was trying to protect," said Oded Bashan, chairman and CEO, OTI. "Our voter ID card system is a natural extension of our proven expertise in developing advanced national ID card and electronic passport systems. OTI's end-to-end Magna based solution, complemented by the company's knowledge and experience, allows countries to access a quick and cost-effective path to implement secured identification and verification needs, regardless of the country's size and telecommunication infrastructure."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV