Culp Announces Results For Second Quarter Fiscal 2011
Culp, Inc. (NYSE: CFI) today reported financial and operating results for the second quarter of fiscal 2011 ended October 31, 2010.
Fiscal 2011 Second Quarter Highlights
- Net sales for the second quarter were $48.9 million, a two percent decline over the second quarter of fiscal 2010, with mattress fabrics segment sales even with the prior year period and upholstery fabric segment sales down five percent over the same period a year ago.
- Pre-tax income for the second quarter was $3.2 million, or 6.5 percent of sales, compared with $3.5 million, or 7.0 percent of sales in the prior year period, an 8.6 percent decline.
- Net income was $4.0 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, compared with net income of $2.9 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2010. Net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2011 included an $801,000 income tax benefit, while net income for the previous year period included income tax expense of $625,000.
Fiscal 2011 Year to Date Highlights
- Year to date sales were $104.8 million, up 10 percent from the same period a year ago.
- Year to date pre-tax income was $7.5 million, or 7.1 percent of sales, compared with $5.5 million, or 5.8 percent of sales for the same period last year, an increase of 36 percent.
- Year to date net income was $7.7 million, or $0.59 per diluted share, compared with net income of $4.8 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, for the same period a year ago. Year to date net income included a $270,000 income tax benefit, while net income for the previous year period included income tax expense of $740,000.
- With year to date capital expenditures of $5.1 million, the company has completed a multi-year expansion in its mattress fabrics business, with capital expenditures totaling $25 million plus $20 million spent for two acquisitions.
- The company’s financial position remained strong, with cash and cash equivalents and short term investments of $19.3 million and total debt of $11.6 million as of October 31, 2010.
- The projection for third quarter fiscal 2011 is for overall sales to be down in the range of 5 to 10 percent. Mattress fabric sales are expected to be comparable to last year, and upholstery fabrics sales are expected to be down 10 to 20 percent compared with the third quarter of fiscal 2010. Pre-tax income for the third quarter of fiscal 2011 is expected to be in the range of $2.6 to $3.3 million. Pretax income for the third quarter of last year was $3.8 million.
OverviewFor the quarter ended October 31, 2010, net sales were $48.9 million, a two percent decline compared with $49.7 million a year ago. The company reported net income of $4.0 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2011, compared with net income of $2.9 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2010. Net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2011 includes an $801,000 income tax benefit, while net income for the previous year included income tax expense of $625,000. The income tax benefit for the second quarter of fiscal 2011 is primarily due to the reversal of the non-cash valuation allowance against net deferred tax assets associated with the company’s China operations. On a pre-tax basis, the company reported income of $3.2 million compared with pre-tax income of $3.5 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV