NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Smartphones are playing an increasingly important role in influencing holiday shoppers.
Over the Black Friday shopping weekend, the number of apps downloaded on
(AAPL) iOS and
(GOOG) Android-running smartphones was up 25% over the prior weekend's data, according to analytics firm
Flurry. The factoid jibes with recent survey findings from Deloitte, which said that one in five shoppers -- about 17% -- plan to use their mobile device for holiday shopping this year. Of this figure, more than 50% will use their phone to compare prices or find store locations, 46% will look for product information and 40% will use their phones to shop or read reviews.
These so-called mobile shoppers will account for 28%, or $127 billion, of the total money that U.S. consumers are expected to spend this holiday season, said IDC.
Here are five apps designed to make their shopping trips a little bit easier.
Platform: iPhoneSignpost's recently-released iPhone app uses mapping technology to help shoppers find nearby bargains, like 20% off cosmetics at Kiehls or a discount on shoes at Steve Madden (SHOO). The app also allows shoppers to input deals they want to share in categories including shopping, health and beauty, entertainment and travel. So far, Signpost is only available in Boston, Chicago, New York and San Francisco, although the company is expanding its service. Signpost, based in New York City, is backed by investors at Google Ventures and Spark Capital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV