DETROIT (TheStreet) -- Forecasters say November auto sales, expected Wednesday, will show continued recovery, increasing 16% to 17% over the same month a year earlier.
Edmunds.com is projecting light vehicle sales will increase by 17% from the same month a year earlier, while TrueCar.com expects a 16% increase. Retail sales are up 17%, said TrueCar.com.
Both firms say the November numbers mean the seasonally-adjusted annualized rate for new car sales is about 12.2 million, up from about 11 million in November 2009.
TheStreet will be live-blogging General Motors' (GM) sales call -- the company's first since going public -- at 11 a.m. ET Wednesday.
Edmunds said individual manufacturers' year-to-date trends continued in November, with Ford (F) sales up 25.6% while Toyota (TM) sales fell 1.8%. GM is expected to show an 11.5% increase, with Chrysler up 22.4% and Honda (HMC) up 16.2%.Edmunds has projected market share of 19.4% for GM, 17.3% for Ford and 15.2% for Toyota. "Several consecutive months of year-over-year retail sales improvements indicate that the recovery in consumer demand has not been a coincidence," said TrueCar.com analyst Jesse Toprak. He said December should be the best sales month of the year, due to year-end clearance events, rising demand and new products. He projected total 2011 vehicle sales of 12.7 million units. Added Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell: "Seasonal fluctuations notwithstanding, we're seeing some stability and consistency in the marketplace for the first time since the economic downturn." -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV