DryShips' shares traded 2.6% higher Monday afternoon, to $5.33. Nearly 11 million shares were in play with two and a half hours left in the session, compared with their average daily trading volume of 17.3 million shares.
DryShips shares were among the most heavily traded shares on the Nasdaq Monday.
The company's subsidiary, Ocean Rig UDW, inked a contract with Borders & Southern Petroleum for a 2-well exploration and drilling pact in the offshore Falkland Islands area for a period of 90 days, beginning in the fourth quarter of 2011. The deal is valued at around $77 million.There are three further optional wells that could extend the contract by 135 days. The dry-bulk shipper and deepwater drill-ship operator recently posted better-than-expected quarterly earnings. >>DryShips Tops Views; Stock Jumps DryShips reported earnings of 18 cents per share, or $49 million. Excluding one-time items the income number would have come in at $99 million, or 38 cents per share, easily besting the consensus Wall Street estimate of 25 cents per share. Quarterly revenue inched higher by 1.4% to $225.2 million from a year ago, also beating expectations. The company finally made good this fall on promises regarding its long-floundering drilling business, inking contracts on several vessels that had still required financing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV