Sterlite Industries is a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources, and is engaged in non-ferrous metals mining and power.
The expected improvement in zinc operations and power sales could drive the stock higher. The zinc environment is set to improve in the second half of 2011 fiscal (April-March), according to analysts.
On the operational front, production ramp up at Rampura Agucha and new smelters should boost operations, while improved water availability and ore quality are other positives. Experts expect zinc prices to escalate in the medium term.
Power sales are expected to increase with large capacities coming on-stream. The company would be selling merchant power from its BALCO division, expected to start operations from next year.The first unit is expected to start commercial operations by December this year, while the second unit and third units will become operational by March 2011. With large capacities coming on line, raw material costs could be a concern, according to analysts. The stock is trading at 10 times its 2010-11 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV