But beyond the 13% year-over-year Black Friday sales growth at Amazon, a few behind-the-scenes tech shops also had a strong showing during the Thanksgiving rush, which should translate to a big Cyber Monday boost.
eBay's (EBAY) PayPal, Google's (GOOG) revamped product search site and GSI Commerce (GSIC), an online sales system provider, all enjoyed a rich slice of the action, said ThinkEquity's review of the e-commerce numbers from the weekend.
PayPal said it saw payment growth of 27% on Black Friday, up from the 20% rate a year ago. The online payment broker also said it saw greater than 300% growth in mobile transactions.For Google, the introduction of Google Products gave the search giant an even stronger foothold in a competitive field that includes favorites like PriceGrabber and Microsoft's (MSFT) Bing Shopping price comparison sites. Google Product search traffic was up 69% over year-ago numbers, according to ThinkEquity, which cited a report by Mercent. Another big player in the online shopping arena is GSI, the name behind retail brands like Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS), Cole Hahn and Aeropostale (ARO) deals. GSI shares, which have been down 6% this year, have risen 3% in the past week as the company continues to sign on new retail customers, including Donna Karan International. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV