(Story updated to reflect share price changes)
Shares of Del Monte finished Friday's trading session up 4.7% to $18.83.The firms consist of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR), Vestar Capital Partners and Centerview Partners, and their offer represents a premium of about 40% over Del Monte's average closing share price during the past three months prior to November 18, when market rumors of a transaction began. This is also higher than any price the company's stock has ever achieved. The deal, wholeheartedly approved by Del Monte's board of directors, is valued at about $5.3 billion. The buyers have already secured financing from Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclays Capital, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley and KKR Capital Markets. In the meantime, Del Monte is permitted to accept alternative proposals from other parties through January 8, 2011. If it doesn't find an superior offers, the deal with this trio of private equity firms can be expected to close by the end of Mar. 2011. Del Monte currently generates about $3.7 billion in annual revenue. When the transaction is complete, the company will keep its corporate headquarters in San Francisco. In light of the announcement, Del Monte will no longer host a conference call to discuss its fiscal 2011 second quarter earnings on December 2. Some of the top gainers of the consumer non-cyclical group Friday were food companies. Seneca Foods (SENEB) rose 5.3% to $23.50, while Bridgford Foods (BRID) finished up 5.1% to $12.47. Synutra International (SYUT) surged by 17.1% to $14.23. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV