Private Equity Group to Buy Del Monte
The purchasing group, which also includes Vestar Capital Partners and Centerview Partners, will pay $19.00 a share for the San Francisco-based food and pet products company. The buyers will also assume about $1.3 billion in debt.
The purchase price represents a 6% premium to Del Monte's closing share price of $17.99 on Wednesday.
However, the stock surged last Friday following speculation that Del Monte would be acquired, and Del Monte noted in a news release that the deal price represents a premium of about 40% over its average closing share price in the three months before Friday.The Del Monte deal is the largest private equity acquisition of the year, ahead of Extended Stay, which in May agreed to a $3.92 billion buyout, the Associated Press reported. In the news release, Del Monte said it would keep its headquarters in San Francisco following the deal. Under the agreement, Del Monte may solicit alternative proposals from other potential buyers through Jan. 8, 2011, and the company said its board and advisers would actively do so. If the company does not find a better offer, the current deal should close by the end of March, according to the news release. Del Monte also announced Thursday that it no longer planned to host a conference call to discuss its fiscal 2011 second-quarter results on Thursday, Dec. 2.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV