3. U.S. Corporations, Flush With Profit, Could Not Possibly Hire More Workers
Residents of Main Street may have more trouble digesting Wall Street's corporate prosperity than their gargantuan Thanksgiving meals: According to a Commerce Department report this week, American businesses earned profits at an annual rate of $1.659 trillion in the third quarter, the highest figure recorded since the government began keeping track more than 60 years ago.
On one hand, this is great -- and somewhat surprising, given how often we've heard from political partisans that President Barack Obama is "the most anti-business president in history." On the other hand, the Federal Reserve released new projections this week indicating that unemployment will be rearing its ugly head for a long time to come. The Fed is now estimating that more than 10 million Americans will remain jobless through the 2012 elections. The current 9.6% national unemployment rate will only fall to 9% by the end of 2011, and 8% by the time the next presidential election is taking place.
Regardless, U.S. companies have many things to be thankful for this holiday weekend: Thanks to the tireless efforts of the increasingly strained U.S. worker, companies are seeing record productivity gains. The record corporate profits have also led to the biggest year in stock-repurchase activity by U.S. corporations since the financial meltdown, buoying share prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV