NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The for-profit education sector was once again on the firing line this week facing accusations that schools fail to adequately prepare students for profitable careers while leaving them saddled with heavy debt. In fact, most students don't even make it to graduation day.
It's not a new claim. For-profit schools' stocks traded sharply lower over the summer when the U.S. government proposed regulations that were seen as hurting the industry's booming earnings growth. The Obama administration argued that for-profit schools like
The Education Trust, a non-profit student advocacy organization, released a report Tuesday rehashing many of the statistics demonstrating the sector's rapid enrollment growth, booming profits, staggeringly low graduation rates and high loan default rates.The report, titled
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV