The Internet retailer has topped lists of the most-visited Web sites on Cyber Monday since 2006. But as competition heats up, will Amazon lose its coveted spot at the top?
So far, it appears it is the e-commerce winners. The Internet retailer is outpacing most of its peers, with a 28% surge in traffic to its U.S. Web site so far this holiday season.
"Amazon's hybrid model is helping it gain share of the overall retail spending and total e-commerce sales, still benefiting from secular growth with less than 10% of retail sales online," Susquehanna Financial analyst Marianne Wolk wrote in a note.Shares of Amazon hit a 52-week high in early morning trading of $181.84.
Overall, e-commerce saw a 9% uptick on Black Friday, compared with a 7% jump forecast by Susquehanna Financial. Amazon rival eBay (EBAY) noted that its PayPal unit saw a 27% increase in total payment volume on Black Friday this year compared with 2009. Shoppers are increasingly turning to the Internet to troll for the best prices. To satiate consumers' cravings for discounts, online retailers have been rolling out offers since early November, most notably with free shipping. So far, the number of shoppers who made purchases online this weekend rose 15.2%, according to the National Retail Federation, to 33.6%, which is a strong sign heading into Cyber Monday shopping today.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV