And Dell said two weeks ago that Ron Garriques, the president of the group responsible for its first forays into smart phones and tablets, is leaving the company. The week before that, it completed the acquisition of Perot Systems Corp.
Still, both firms reported strong quarterly results this month and got broad backing from Wall Street analysts.
H-P and Dell exceeded analysts' expectations, propelling their shares as their peers suffered in a technology pullback.
Of the 39 Wall Street analysts that follow H-P, 19 have it rated "buy," 17 "hold" and three "sell," according to Bloomberg. Among the positive factors supporting the buy ratings are H-P's low price-to-trailing-earnings ratio (P/E) of 11.8 versus the average of 35 for its industry group and the 20.8 P/E of the S&P 500. It also has strong cash flow, as indicated by a price-to-cash-flow ratio of 23.5 versus the average of 102.5 for its industry peers.
Among the 38 analysts that follow Dell, 28 have a "buy" rating, nine a "hold" and one a "sell." The company has a P/E of 17.6, half that of its industry group, and its price-to-cash-flow ratio is even less than H-P's.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV