H-P, the world's largest maker of personal computers, saw 14 sellers and only six buyers among its 20 largest investors in the third quarter. Axa and Fidelity, among its top five investors, dumped a combined 26.4 million shares, according to Bloomberg data. In total, there was a net decline of 29.9 million shares of H-P owned by institutional and mutual fund investors in the third quarter.
Although Dell had 12 buyers among its top 20 institutional and mutual fund investors in the third quarter, there was widespread dissatisfaction. There was a net decline of 65.5 million shares, even as Axa purchased 21.7 million shares.
H-P and Dell are badly trailing their peers and the broader stock market. Hewlett-Packard has fallen 16% this year, and Dell has dropped 3%. The Standard & Poor's Computer Hardware Index has increased 12% and the benchmark S&P 500 Index is up 7.9%.Dell and H-P compete across several product lines, including laptops, personal computers and storage technology, and both have had a volatile few months that have clouded the business outlook. Dell lost a bidding war with H-P for data-storage company 3Par, while H-P replaced its popular chief executive, Mark Hurd, with SAP's (SAP) Leo Apotheker in a tumultuous transition that hurt the company's image.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV