NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cyber Monday, while still a small slice of total holiday sales, is clearly gaining in importance.
This year, Cyber Monday sales are expected to top $10 billion, a 13.2% surge from 2009, according to IBISWorld.
And while research firms have mixed surveys regarding just how many consumers will click buy on their online shopping carts on Nov. 29, it is undeniable that increasingly more shoppers are turning toward the Internet to find the best deals.
Retailers looking to capture consumers' dollars earlier this season have rolled out promotions online far ahead of Cyber Monday.
As a result, free-shipping wars have emerged, with four out of five retailers saying they will offer such promotions at some point this holiday season, according to a Shop.org survey. Of course, Wal-Mart (WMT)is looking to top rivals with its free shipping promotion on over 60,000 items, but Amazon (AMZN) and Best Buy (BBY)are keeping pace. Social networking has also become a bigger part of the equation, with companies like Gap (GPS) and Macy's (M) attempting to woo customers via Facebook. Overall, e-commerce sales are expected to grow 10% during the holiday season to $32 billion, according to Susquehanna Financial. But who will grab the most of these dollars remains to be seen. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV