This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Fund Managers' Black Friday Stock Deals

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don Wordell, manager of the RidgeWorth Mid-Cap Value Equity Fund (SMVTX), says appliance maker Whirlpool (WHR - Get Report) is one of his top picks.

Like most other funds, the RidgeWorth Mid-Cap Value Equity Fund had a weak performance over the past three years due to the economic crisis. Even so, the $1.4 billion fund has garnered a five-star rating from Morningstar, thanks to market outperformance over one and five years. RidgeWorth is an Atlanta-based multi-manager boutique with $62 billion in assets overall.

Whirlpool is "extremely attractive on a long-term basis. The stock is clearly cheap on whatever valuation metric you want to compare it to."

Wordell says the price-to-earnings ratio of 8.5 is what sticks out most, as it is well below the market average. But he says Whirlpool is a winner thanks to an attractive dividend, strong management team and exposure to emerging markets such as China and South America.

Wordell turns to the bank sector for his second value pick. BB&T (BBT - Get Report) has a 2.5% dividend yield that Wordell exepcts to grow.

"They paid their TARP back, so they're in a great position to grow their dividend," he says. "Like Comerica (CMA) raised their dividend, BB&T can do the same thing."

Wordell says regulation fears are already reflected in the stock price, which currently trades at book value. BB&T, though, is "very cheap" on what he expects the bank's earnings power will be.

"In two years, BB&T's earnings power will be in the $3.50-a-share range," Wordell says. "The stock is currently trading at seven times that number now and we think it should trade north of $10. That would get you in the $35 to $40 range."

Lastly, Wordell says General Dynamics (GD - Get Report) is a great value play not because of the defense unit but the luxury cachet attached to its business-jet division.

General Dynamics has 60% of its revenue dedicated to defense, and the stock trades at defense multiples of nine times earnings, Wordell says. The other 40% of the business is in the Gulfstream jet business.

"That is by far the premier global brand. I would argue that Gulfstream is a brand that is better than Tiffany's (TIF), better than Gucci, better than anything out there," he says. "The G650 jet is going to be the greatest business jet that we've known so far."

4 of 5

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
BBT $39.91 0.81%
GD $140.56 1.86%
ISCA $37.64 1.24%
MSFT $47.61 2.19%
TRW $105.46 -0.07%

Markets

DOW 18,162.99 +121.45 0.67%
S&P 500 2,123.48 +19.28 0.92%
NASDAQ 5,106.5930 +73.8420 1.47%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs