(New York Times article updated with today's volume and share price.)
Nearly 13 million shares traded hands on Monday, compared with the average 3-month volume of 2.2 million and the share price rose almost 4%.
Shares spiked almost 10% this morning, reaching $9.28, and are up about 7% to $9.10. Almost 4 million shares have already traded hands today.Analysts Douglas Arthur at Evercore Partners speculates that one of the company's largest shareholders was responsible for divesting a chunk of 7 million shares around 10:30 A.M. yesterday. "Only four or five investors have that amount of stock," Arthur pointed out. He indicated that major shareholder Harbinger Capital Partners (HRG) has steadily been selling its shares throughout the year. In October, Harbinger sold 2.9 million shares following the company's $4.3 million third-quarter loss, which brought its stake in the company down to 7.4%. In April Harbinger disclosed it had a 9.4% stake, which was down from 12.8% at the beginning of 2010. Arthur also speculates that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim could have been the buyer, but it's not likely that he was the seller. In September New York Times shares spiked on rumors that Slim was planning to launch a bid to take over the company. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV