NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The first offshore wind power project in the U.S. received a key approval from the state of Massachusetts on Monday.
Cape Wind received approval from the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities to sign a 15-year Power Purchase Agreement with U.K.-based National Grid. National Grid will be buying Cape Wind's energy, capacity and renewable energy credits under the terms of the PPA.
It's been a nine-year battle for Cape Wind against the political establishment in Massachusetts and elite elements of Martha' Vineyard, including the Kennedy clan. Cape Wind president Jim Gordon said in a statement on Monday afternoon, "Today's approval validates that Cape Wind is a good value delivering clean energy without all of the associated costs of fossil fuels. This long-term contract not only secures an abundant, inexhaustible clean energy resource but protects consumers from rising fossil fuel and environmental compliance costs."
Cape Wind and National Grid announced their intention to sign the PPA in May.The U.S. terrestrial wind market has had one of its worst years on record in 2010, with companies like Broadwind Energy (BWEN) seeing their stock value dive and once-heralded initial public offering candidates like First Wind find the market conditions to be choppy. Meanwhile, U.S. companies with a focus on selling into overseas wind power markets, have fared better, such as American Superconductor (AMSC), which sells wind equipment to Asian wind market companies.
(GE) setting their sights on the U.K. opportunity.
(SI) has opened its North American Offshore Wind office in Boston because of Cape Wind, the company said in its statement announcing the regulatory approval. Earlier this fall, Google (GOOG) announced an ambitious plan to fund the development of an offshore wind power electricity transmission system.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV