NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Spot-gold prices are heading higher Monday afternoon as investors seek safety amid much uncertainty over the EU's handle over debt contagion problems in the region.
Even as the EU and International Monetary Fund discussed the details of a rescue package for the embattled Irish financial sector and Ireland finalizes its 15-billion-euro austerity plan, investors are nervous about the tough road ahead in overhauling the nation's banking system and what this means for the other troubled EU countries.
New York spot gold prices were rising $10.60, or 0.8%, to $1,364.70 in Monday afternoon trading.
spot silver prices were adding 46 cents, or 1.7%, to $27.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV