NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- About 90,000 Bassettbaby drop-side cribs with external plastic hardware made by Bassett Furniture Industries (BSET) are being recalled, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says.
The baby cribs are being recalled after 18 complaints about the drop-side rails of the cribs partially detaching. When this happens, a space emerges between the drop-side and the crib mattress, which could lead to the child falling out of the crib, or infant entrapment or strangulation.
In one of the complaints, a child became trapped between the mattress and the drop side. In three of the complaints, infants fell out of the cribs. Bassett Furniture has also received 154 complaints of the drop-side breaking during shipment, assembly or use.
The CPSC says there have been no injuries reported so far.The recalled cribs were sold in children's stores, retailers and online between Jan. 2000 through Aug. 2010 for $200 to $500. They are made of wood with a metal mattress support and have a drop side with external plastic hardware. The cribs were sold in a variety of finishes. All of them have "Bassettbaby" or "Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc." labels attached to their footboards or headboards. The CPSC notes that malfunctions can also occur due to incorrect assembly or wear and tear over time. The consumer watchdog urges consumers not to use a crib that is more than ten years old and to contact Bassettbaby at 800-308-7485 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, for a free kit to immobilize the drop side. Shares of Bassett Furniture have fallen 2% to $4 in early afternoon trading. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV