This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Murdoch's BSkyB Bid Gains Opposition

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Church of England is joining a number of British Sky Broadcasting Group's rival news outlets in opposing News Corporation's (NWSA - Get Report) bid to take over the U.K.-based pay TV operator.

News Corp. currently owns 39% of BSkyB and is looking to buy the remaining 61%. The BSkyB board rejected New Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch's initial offer of 7.8 billion pounds, or about $12.4 billion at current exchange, which he made in June.

The deal's challengers are arguing that News Corp. and Murdoch may be gaining too much control of the British media.

Murdoch's company already owns four major U.K. newspapers, including the nation's largest publication, News of the World. By acquiring Sky, News Corp. would gain its 10 million customers, or close to 66% of pay TV subscribers in the U.K.

In an official statement on the church's Web site, Bishop of Manchester Nigel McCulloch explained if News Corp. owned BSkyB it would control the three major TV news suppliers in the U.K., including BBC and Independent Television News.

The acquisition would allow News Corp to "dominate both the television and media landscape," McCulloch said. "There would always be the potential for the exercise of subtle editorial influence, not least in the process of selecting which news items are to be covered and which left out."

While he opposes the possible takeover, McCulloch said that if the deal goes through the company should provide the public "an assurance that the independence and editorial integrity of Sky News will be preserved."

A few weeks ago U.K. Business Secretary Vince Cable ordered that the Office of Communications, the U.K. broadcast regulator, step in and investigate. Cable has requested that OFCOM complete a review by Dec. 31.

The European Commission is also conducting a review of the possible deal to be completed by Dec. 8, unless the Commission decides to conduct a longer "phase II" investigation, which could take 125 additional days.

-- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.

>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe.

>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe.

>To submit a news tip, send an email to: tips@thestreet.com.

RELATED STORIES:


Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors and reporters from holding positions in any individual stocks.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
NWSA $14.54 0.00%
AAPL $118.44 0.00%
FB $94.14 0.00%
GOOG $631.21 0.00%
TSLA $259.99 0.00%

Markets

Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,598.20 -91.66 -0.52%
S&P 500 2,098.04 -5.80 -0.28%
NASDAQ 5,115.3820 -12.8990 -0.25%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs