Buffett: Tax The Rich
"People at the high end -- people like myself -- should be paying a lot more in taxes. We have it better than we've ever had it," Buffett told ABC News in an interview scheduled to air Nov. 28, according to Bloomberg.
Buffett is Chairman and CEO of Omaha, Neb.-based Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-B) a conglomerate that includes publicly-traded companies like Wells Fargo (WFC), Goldman Sachs (GS), Coca Cola (KO) and American Express (AXP), among its vast holdings.
"If anything, taxes for the lower and middle class and maybe even the upper middle class should even probably be cut further," Buffett said in the interview.Top earners paid between 69% and 92% of their income in taxes from 1936 to 1981 but have paid below 40% ever since 1987. The highest tax bracket, defined today as people earning more than about $375, 000, hasn't exceeded $400,000 since 1942. Buffett is the second richest man in America, according to Forbes, which puts his wealth at $45 billion. Tax cuts enacted during the George W. Bush presidency, which benefit earners in five different income brackets, are set to expire at the end of the year unless Congress acts. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV