New York Community Bancorp: How to Play It
Another bright spot for New York Community is continued high efficiency. A bank's efficiency ratio is essentially its noninterest expense divided by its interest and noninterest income, and New York Community's third-quarter efficiency ratio of 35.82% was third-best among the largest 50 U.S. bank and thrift holding companies, according to SNL Financial. It followed Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) with an efficiency ratio of 22.55% and Washington Federal (WFSL), at 32.19%.
New York Community Bancorp didn't take government bailout assistance from through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP. The company's tangible common equity ratio as of September 30 was 7.59%, rising from 6.03% a year earlier, despite the dividend payout.
Following the company's third-quarter earnings release, David Darst of Guggenheim Securities reiterated his buy rating on the shares and $19 price target, citing the bank's "improving fee income growth." His earnings estimate for 2011 is $1.40 a share, which is a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 12.1 based on Friday's close.
So how do you play New York Community Bancorp? The shares aren't particularly cheap, but one way to play it is to begin with a reasonable position and genuine long term commitment - meaning several years - while enjoying the near-6% yield and building the position on the inevitable market dips.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV