There are all sorts of legitimate arguments against electric cars, applying to different people in different situations, causing 100% adoption to be unrealistic for the next 10 or so years. For example, people with very large/heavy van needs, trailer-pullers, or classic supercar enthusiasts, are less likely candidates for all-electric cars. Likewise, however, the strongest case for electric car demand comes from multi-car households, where the majority of demand will reside for at least the first two to three years following the current pioneering Nissan Leaf introduction. And as I have said, that part of the market alone should be about one-third of the total U.S. car market.
For the next two to three years, the supply/demand imbalance is so dramatic, with production being well under 10% of demand, that investment opportunities should abound. As to what those companies are, that will be the subject of a separate analysis, and in the meantime I welcome suggestions and arguments.
At the time of writing this article, Wahlman had no position in the companies mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV