REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- As evidenced by his headline-grabbing appearance at Oracle's (ORCL) recent courtroom battle with SAP (ORCL), Larry Ellison never misses an opportunity to publicly trash the opposition.
|Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle|
Brash and belligerent, with a penchant for sportscars, planes and yachts, Ellison is undoubtedly one of the most colorful figures in Silicon Valley, as tech peers Google (GOOG) and IBM (HPQ) -- two of his past targets -- can attest. The outspoken, hard-charging 66-year old is even the subject of a biography, The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison.
Nonetheless, Ellison is a divisive figure. Some experts have warned that his confrontational style may be counter productive in the long-term, but others say that this is key to both his own and his company's success. Forbes rates Ellison as the sixth-richest person in the world with a fortune of $27 billion.Jeffrey Pfeffer, a professor of organizational behavior at Stanford University and author of Power: Why Some People Have It -- And Others Don't, told TheStreet that Ellison's approach runs counter to current business thinking, which he describes as the "Kumbaya" theory of leadership. "There is all this stuff about how you have to be nice and kind, but if you look, not just at Larry Ellison, but at a lot of other people, including some very successful politicians, you find that is not always the case," he said. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV