Smart Technologies (SMT), which produces interactive whiteboards for classrooms, was the largest IPO in the U.S. year-to-date when it priced in July.
The Calgary-based company raised $660 million -- around 10% more capital than it expected. Smart Technologies priced at $17, at the middle of its expected range of $16 to $18.But despite a promising start, Smart's stock has suffered since going public. Shares have tumbled more than 40% for the year. Last month, RBC Capital Markets downgraded the stock from outperform to sector perform. The company missed analyst expectations during its most recent quarter, posting revenue of $222.7 million, behind consensus of $234 million. Smart Technologies also sharply cut its revenue guidance for the March 2011 fiscal year to a range of $770 million to $805 million, down from a prior range of $850 million to $885 million. Although Smart Technlogies stumbled this year, tech watchers are expecting a brighter 2011. "This is clearly a company investing in the future and though near-term headwinds persist in the U.S., we believe the company is poised to continue to capture share and resume 15-20% annual growth," Piper Jaffray analyst Troy Jensen wrote in a recent analyst note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV