NEW YORK (TheStreet)-- With Thanksgiving right around the corner, the nation's single busiest shopping day is about to unleash. Whether or not the retail sector will get a boost this holiday season is ambiguous. However, the Retail HOLDRs (RTH), the iShares Dow Jones US Consumer Services (IYC) and the SPDR S&P Select Retail (XRT) are likely to be influenced regardless of the outcome.
A poll conducted by the National Retail Federation shows that up to 138 million shoppers may visit the nation's shopping malls over the Black Friday weekend, an increase of nearly 3% from last year. Many are expected to flock to the blockbuster bargains that are being offered by such retailers as Wal-Mart (WMT), Target (TGT) and Best Buy (BBY). Wal-Mart is expected to offer DVDs for as little as $1.96, Blue-Ray Disc Movies for $10 and some kitchen appliances for under $3, while Target is following a similar path and is also expected to offer a 40-inch LCD HDTV for under $300 and Best Buy is advertising netbook computers starting at under $150.
On the positive side for retailers, it appears that consumers have already adjusted their spending habits and have started to open up their wallets. According to the Commerce Department, retail sales trended upward for the fourth straight month in a row in October indicating that consumption growth could be gaining some traction.
On the negative side, special promotional sales put together by retailers to entice consumers during the year may end up having an adverse affect and on Black Friday revenues in that some consumers may have already made their big purchases for the year.At the end of the day, there will be a lot of traffic in and out of retail stores on Black Friday with numerous deals to capitalize on. Regardless of whether or not consumers will act on these deals and continue the recent upward trend of spending, the aforementioned ETFs will likely be influenced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV