Trans World Entertainment CEO Discusses Q3 2010 Results Â¿¿ Earnings Call Transcript
For the quarter our comp sales in music were down 7% compared to CD sales for the industry that declined 24%. Music represents 36% of our business as compared to 37% last year. Comp store sales for electronics accessory and trend increased 5% on a combined basis and represented 15% of our business versus 13% last year. Comp store sales in our game category decreased 41% and represented 5% of our business as compared to 8% last year. During fiscal 2009, the company eliminated the game category in over 200 stores; at the end of the third quarter 135 of our stores carry games compared to 347 a year ago. John will now take you through the financial results for the third quarter. John.
Thank you Bob, good morning. Our net loss for the quarter improved $6.2 million to $16.1 million from last year’s net loss of $22.3 million. The loss per share was $0.51 compared to $0.71 per share last year. Our gross margin rate for the quarter increased to 34.1% from 33.9% last year, a 20 basis point improvement. SG&A expenses were $56.2 million, a reduction of 22% versus a sales decline of 20%. As a percentage of sales, SG&A expenses were 43.7% this year versus 44.8% last year, an improvement of a 110 basis points.
EBITDA was a loss of $12.3 million in the quarter versus $17.6 million last year, an improvement of $5.3 million. Net interest expense was $900,000 in the quarter versus $700,000 last year.At the end of the quarter, borrowings on our line of credit were $8.6 million which was $46.9 million less than last year's $55.5 million. We accomplish this through the management of working capital. Year-over-year, we lowered our inventory by $98 million. At quarter-end inventory position was $271 million versus last year's $369 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV