NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- General Motors (GM) initial public offering on Thursday should be a triumphant moment for former "car czar" Steven Rattner, though he may be a bit distracted with other matters at the moment.
Rattner, who left a job as a reporter for The New York Times (NYT), to become a media industry dealmaker for Morgan Stanley (MS) and Lazard (LAZ) before starting a private equity firm called Quadrangle Group, was also hit with two lawsuits by New York State Attorney General and Governor-Elect Andrew Cuomo on Thursday.
As if that weren't enough for one day, he has also settled a related case with the Securities and Exchange Commission, agreeing to pay $6.2 million and to agreeing to refrain from "associating with any investment adviser or broker-dealer for at least two years."
At issue in the Cuomo lawsuits and the SEC case are Rattner's alleged participation in a kickback scheme enabling Quadrangle to manage $150 million in New York State pension fund assets.The allegations have been in the press since April, and Rattner, who had been picked by the Obama Administration in February as the government's point man in turning around GM and Chrysler, resigned from his post in July. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV