Walter Energy, in a statement Thursday, said it has agreed to purchase 19.8% of Western Coal's shares from from affiliates of Audley Capital for C$11.50 a share, or a total of about C$630 million ($618.7 million).
Walter Energy said the total enterprise value of the proposal for Western Coal is C$3.3 billion ($3.24 billion).
The offer is a 56% premium to Western Coal's closing price Thursday in Toronto.Walter Energy said a combination with Western Coal would make it the "leading, publicly traded 'pure-play' metallurgical coal producer in the world, with unique and strategic access to steel producing markets in both the Atlantic and Pacific Basins." The combined company, on a pro forma basis, would have total coal reserves of about 385 million tons, Walter Energy said. Western Coal, in a separate press release, said it agreed to work exclusively with Walter until Dec. 1 while due diligence is performed. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV