WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- Homebuilders began construction on 11.7% fewer homes in October, far worse than the expected contraction rate, though applications for building permits edged up 0.5%, pointing to an uptick in future homebuilding activity.
The Commerce Department said early Wednesday that housing starts came in at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 519,000 in October, after a downwardly revised rate of 588,000 for September and worse than the rate of 600,000 economics expected, according to consensus estimates listed on Briefing.com.
The figure compares with the originally reported pace of 610,000 reported for September.
Applications for building permits increased 0.5% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 555,000, compared with the revised September rate of 547,000. October's rate remains 4.5% lower than in the year-earlier month.Building permits are viewed as an indication of future home construction. Stocks in the homebuilder sector were mixed in premarket trading Thursday ahead of the report on housing starts and building permits. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB), an exchange-traded fund that tracks the sector, was 0.5% lower, while the iShares Dow Jones US Home Construction (ITB) ETF was flat. Among individual builders, D.R. Horton (DHI) fell 0.5%, Lennar (LEN) 0.5%, Toll Brothers (TOL) 0.5%. KB Home (KBH) and NVR (NVR) were flat. PulteGroup (PHM) bucked the trend, gaining 1.9% in premarket trading. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV