For more mature markets, like the U.S., where cards are ubiquitous as payment forms, Murphy said customers are looking to increasingly interact with their cards, with additional features and services, such as alerts and discounts and retail offerings.
But a central question remains for MasterCard and other payments firms, particularly as platforms including mobile payments and Apple's (APPL) iPad take off in popularity, what will the credit/debit card of the future look like?
Murphy gave several predictions:
¿ Physical cards will continue;¿ However, cards will shift from a "plastic box" into mobile devices, for example. Consumers will be able to put their card functionality on their phones and other smart devices and be offered a greater set of interaction experiences; ¿ Prepaid cards will become the "light checking account" for a segment of consumers; and ¿ For affluent customers, continued innovation by the payments industry to build "rich consumer value propositions, focused on travel and travel benefits on their cards." -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact the writer of this article, click here: Laurie Kulikowski. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV