NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The latest regulatory filings have once again given investors a chance to get a glimpse of the stocks that market heavyweights such as Warren Buffett, George Soros and John Paulson favor.
But would it be wise to follow their moves? The filings come 45 days after the end of the last quarter. Positions may have already changed, stock prices have likely already run up. Plus, these filings offer only a partial glimpse into these gurus' picks, as it only discloses long equity positions.
Then there is the question of trying to figure out whose bet to follow. Should you jump in and bet with the legendary investor Warren Buffett, and buy
Bank of New York Mellon
(BK)? The world's largest custody bank has been on an acquisition mode, buying
PNC Global Investment Servicing, which serves the asset management industry. It also bought Canadian wealth advisory services company
i3. But Mellon might itself be an
Among George Soros's latest portfolio additions is Dendreon (DNDN). An advisory panel will vote Wednesday on whether there is enough evidence to support the claim that Dendreon's Provenge extends life in prostate cancer patients and should be covered by Medicare. Dendreon shares bottomed out in July after it became unclear whether Medicare would pay for the drug's use in prostate cancer patients. The drug first became available in the U.S. in April. Medicare sales would generate $1.7 billion a year for Dendreon by 2014, and approval by Medicare could lead to a major Dendreon share rally.Hedge fund titan John Paulson cut back on financials in the third quarter. His biggest pick was Anadarko Petroleum (APC),
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Venkataraman. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV