10 Holiday Songs You'll Hate By Christmas
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- When you've heard "Do They Know It's Christmas" for the 13th time this season, think of the holiday retail workers and all-holiday radio DJs who've heard it 13,000 times and thank God it's them instead of you.
The all-holiday radio season is in full swing, with broadcast and cable tracking firm Media Monitors saying that more than 33 stations nationwide have made the switch already. Even Web-based Pandora and Sirius-XM (SIRI) satellite radio have launched their holiday stations this week as consumer demand for the genre and advertiser interest grows. Radio research firm Arbitron (ARB) notes that stations that switched to the all-holiday format saw ratings climb an average 91% last holiday season and total listenership grow by an average 66%.
The one downside to this merry money grab is that consumers are being inundated with the same standards over and over again for a month straight. Media Monitors ranked 2,000 songs during last year's holiday season and found that the Top 20 were played more than 10,000 times each during December alone. Even the jolliest, most jovial holiday music fan can feel fatigued when the same song is playing more than 16 times an hour across the country.
To gird readers, listeners and consumers against the impending flood of holiday favorites, the TheStreet culled Media Monitors' Top 10 songs played most by all-holiday radio and has broken down just how often they'll be playing across America this year. While it's too early to tell if the rankings will hold up, these stubborn stalwarts seem least willing to relinquish their slice of the season's air time:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV