Impac Mortgage Holdings, Inc. Announces Results Of Third Quarter 2010
Impac Mortgage Holdings, Inc. (NYSE Amex: IMH), a Maryland corporation, or the “Company,” reports third quarter 2010 net earnings of $974 thousand, or $0.12 per diluted common share, as compared to a net earnings of $3.0 million, or $0.38 per diluted common share for the third quarter of 2009.
Mortgage and Real Estate Services
For the three and six months ended September 30, 2010, mortgage and real estate services fees were $15.5 million and $42.5 million, respectively. The mortgage and real estate services fees of $15.5 million for the three months ended September 30, 2010, was primarily comprised of $7.3 million in monitoring, surveillance and recovery fees, $4.5 million in title and escrow fees, $1.9 million in servicing income, and $1.8 million in loan modification fees. The mortgage and real estate services fees of $42.5 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2010, was primarily comprised of $20.1 million in monitoring, surveillance and recovery fees, $10.5 million in title and escrow fees, $7.7 million in loan modification fees, and $4.2 million in servicing income. Although the Company intends to generate more fees by providing these services to third parties in the marketplace, the revenues from these businesses have primarily been generated from the Company’s long-term mortgage portfolio. Despite our efforts to expand these services, we have encountered challenges in selling these services to third-parties. Furthermore, since these businesses are recently established there remains uncertainty about their future success.
In October 2010, the Company completed the acquisition of 51% of AmeriHome Mortgage Corporation (AmeriHome) for $1.8 million, whereby the Company made a $950 thousand capital contribution to AmeriHome, paid $150 thousand to the founder of AmeriHome, and entered into a note payable requiring $20 thousand monthly payments for three years. As part of the transaction, the Company has an option to purchase an additional 39% ownership interest beginning January 1, 2011 for 1.5 times of 39% of the book value of AmeriHome plus $550,000 in cash. In addition, the founder has an option to sell his 49%, ownership beginning January 1, 2014, to the Company for 49% of book value. The book value of AmeriHome was approximately $2.8 million at the time of the Company’s purchase of 51% ownership interest.
Results of Operations
Condensed Statement of Operations Data
|(dollars, except per-share amounts, in thousands)||For the Three Months Ended September 30,|
|Net interest income||1,671||1,906||(235||)||(12||)|
|Total non-interest income||16,154||16,913||(759||)||(4||)|
|Total non-interest expense||15,552||14,016||1,536||11|
|Income tax expense||14||-||14||n/a|
|Earnings from continuing operations||2,259||4,803||(2,544||)||(53||)|
|Loss from discontinued operations, net||(1,285||)||(1,776||)||491||28|
Earnings available to common stockholders before
redemption of preferred stock
Earnings per share available to common stockholders
before redemption of preferred stock - basic
Earnings per share available to common stockholders
before redemption of preferred stock - diluted
- Earnings from continuing operations of $2.3 million for the third quarter of 2010, compared to $4.8 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Net interest income of $1.7 million for the third quarter of 2010, primarily from our long-term mortgage portfolio, compared to $1.9 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Non-interest (loss) income - net trust assets of $(574) thousand for the third quarter of 2010, compared to $3.2 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Mortgage and real estate services fees of $15.5 million for the third quarter of 2010, compared to $13.5 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Personnel expense of $10.7 million for the third quarter of 2010, compared to $9.4 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Loss from discontinued operations of $1.3 million for the third quarter of 2010, compared to a loss of $1.8 million for the comparable 2009 period.
- Repurchase reserve was $8.7 million at September 30, 2010, compared to $11.0 million at December 31, 2009.
Condensed Components of Stockholders' Equity (Deficit)
|(dollars in thousands)||
As of September 30, 2010
|Residual interests in securitizations||27,884||-||27,884|
|Long-term debt ($71,120 par)||(10,822||)||-||(10,822||)|
|Lease liability (1)||-||(2,353||)||(2,353||)|
|Net other assets (liabilities)||7,029||(2,465||)||4,564|
|Stockholders' equity (deficit)||$||39,686||$||(13,453||)||$||26,233|
|(1) Guaranteed by IMH.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV