BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Utility stocks were the rage in July when investors feared a double-dip. But, in anticipation of QE2, dividend-payers trailed riskier stocks. Utilities currently comprise the cheapest U.S. sector based on earnings expectations. They also represent the most inexpensive subset of the S&P 500 despite yielding more than the U.S. 10-year Treasury bond. Here are the 10 cheapest large-cap utility stocks, from cheap to cheapest.
10. Edison International (EIX) sells electricity in coastal and southern California. Its third-quarter profit increased 27% to $510 million, or $1.57 a share, as revenue grew 3.4%. The operating margin widened from 21% to 23%. Edison has $2 billion of cash and $12 billion of debt. Its stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 9.5, a forward earnings multiple of 12, a book value multiple of 1.1 and a cash flow multiple of 3.3, 34%, 5%, 32% and 39% discounts to utility peer averages. Half of the analysts covering Edison rate it "buy" and half rate it "hold."
Dividend Growth: Edison pays a dividend yield of 3.3% with a payout ratio of 32%. It has a three-year dividend growth rate of 2.8% and five-year growth of 4.7%.
Bullish Scenario: RBC Capital Markets expects Edison's stock to advance 19% to $45.Bearish Scenario: Citigroup values Edison's stock at $33, implying it is 15% above fair value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV